2014 WWiT Conference “Connects, Educates, & Inspires”
Disruption was a reoccurring theme throughout the annual Women Working in Technology Conference that took place on March 28th, 2014. With over 120 registrants, this was the largest WWiT conference held to date. Co-Keynote speakers Manjula Talreja and Tracey Seward discussed the disruptions of your career and the Internet of everything. Manjula Talreja, VP for Cloud Practice for Cisco Consulting, discussed the new horizons coming with the Internet of Everything. “By 2014 –this year! – the number of mobile connected devices will exceed the number of people on Earth.”
The presentation did not entirely focus on just the technology, covering both presenters’ key things for careers in the industry. One of the more memorable was Accenture’s Tracey Seward’s remark about being courageous and having a healthy amount of stress; “It’s okay if your hands get sweaty.”
The theme of disruption continued throughout the day, highlighting career advice for both men and women.
Melissa Norcross advised in her rules for disruption to “have someone in your village who can remind you to get out of your comfort zone.” Without getting out of your comfort zone, your career will not be able to move forward.
The career emphasis was also connected to networking; Stephanie Wilson spoke on networking specifically as more “farming than it is hunting,” and that relationships need to be cultivated.
Although the conference speakers did not collaborate with the exception of the Co-Keynotes, the talks all seemed to weave together into one cohesive message. Among the many takeaways from all the speakers one of the ideas that we should all carry with us as we face our careers is this; “Make yourself indispensible” – Manjula Talreja.
Opening and Educate Keynote
Manjula Talreja and Tracey Seward, The Internet of Everything: Digital Disruptions and You Career
Kristina Bolin, Gretchen Loss, Suzanne Plesha, Data Analytics: Collecting, Analyzing, and Decision Making
Andrew Heiser, Leverage LinkedIn for Professional Development
Stephanie Wilson, In-Person Networking Techniques
Estelle Brodeur and Lauren Lawrence, Heart Based Work in a High Tech World Break
Closing and Inspire Keynote
Melissa Norcross, Taking Charge of Disrupting Yourself
- Body of Work: Finding the Thread That Ties Your Story Together
- Impact: Great Leadership Changes Everything
- You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life
- Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead
- Big Data: A Revolution That Will Transform How We Live, Work, and Think
- Geek Wisdom
- Yogalosophy: 28 Days to the Ultimate Mind-Body Makeover
- Data Science for Business: What you need to know about data mining and data-analytic thinking
- StrengthsFinder 2.0
- Overwhelmed: Work, Love, and Play When No One Has the Time
- The Shift: How I Finally Lost Weight and Discovered a Happier Life
- Dare, Dream, Do: Remarkable Things Happen When You Dare to Dream